WatchTower was founded to help employee benefit insurance carriers and brokers simplify the complex process of providing employers insurance.
More than $400B of employee benefit insurance is placed each year using manual, error-prone workflows and low tech solutions. WatchTower drives connectivity and trust between brokers and carriers through the transparent exchange of information, enabling them to write better business faster and unlock insights to help employers offer the best possible benefits for their employees.
Our goal is to become the operating system for the employee benefits insurance industry so that we can better the lives of our customers and the millions of people who rely on them every day.
Position: Software Development Engineer
We are looking for a Senior Rails developer responsible for building Rails applications, including anything from complex groups of back-end micro-services to command line utilities and data processing scripts. Your primary responsibility will be to design and develop these applications, and to coordinate with the rest of the engineering team working on different layers of the infrastructure.
A commitment to collaborative problem solving, sophisticated design, and building quality products is essential for success in this role.
As an engineer on WatchTower's "Backend and Infrastructure" team, you’ll work with a seasoned and capable group of professionals. Your contributions will have a direct impact on the company’s success, and your actions will help shape the culture of our team.
What you’ll do
- Design, build, and maintain efficient, reusable, and reliable Rails code
- Ensure the best possible performance, quality, and responsiveness of the applications
- Identify bottlenecks and bugs, and devise solutions to these problems
- Help maintain code quality, organization, and automatization.
Your skills & experiences include
- Good understanding of the syntax of Ruby and its nuances
- Solid understanding of object-oriented programming
- Understanding of functional programming style in Ruby
- Skills for writing reusable Ruby libraries that may be used in expressive ways
- Solid understanding of Rspec, and best practices related to testing Ruby / Rails applications
- Solid understanding of PostgreSQL with the ability to understand and write complex, efficient queries taking full advantage of Postgres’ JSON/B data types
Nice to Have Skills
- Experience with Docker and containerized applications
- Experience with AWS and TerraForm
Note: Familiarity with the insurance industry is not a requirement. We’ll teach you!
- Middleware: Ruby on Rails
- Relational Database: Postgres
- Supporting tools: Python
- Hosting Infrastructure: AWS
Your compensation will include
- Competitive salary
- Stock options
- Long Term Disability
- Flexible vacation policy
- Parental leave
Where you’ll work
Since our tech team is a distributed team, this depends on your location.
If you’re in the Chicago area
You are welcome to join us at our offices at Catapult, one of Chicago’s top-rated office spaces for growth stage companies. Located in downtown Chicago, our office is in the historic Franklin Tower building, near the Washington & Wells brown line station. Enjoy unlimited access to learning & development opportunities including events, workshops, and mentoring from the entrepreneurs and growing businesses working around us. We’re also very flexible on working from home if you’re in the area.
We can help you get set up comfortably in a remote working setup of your choosing. For both our Catapult-based team member and our remote team members, we are aware of how life throws wrenches, so we focus on allowing our team members control over their work schedule when needed.
We’re a team built on trust—as long as your work gets done to the standards we’ve set together, we will not get in your way.
Our Team Values are the beliefs that guide our behavior. You can see them in how we conduct ourselves, how we treat and communicate with others, and how we make decisions.
By operating around a shared set of values we collectively grow and be more successful for it. For that reason we’re seeking like-motivated candidates who demonstrate the following:
- Keep your commitments - When you commit to something you feel a personal obligation to deliver on it.
- Embrace the constraints - You have the mindset that there’s always a way forward, no matter how hard it gets.
- Growth - You fundamentally believe that you can improve.
- Respect for the individual - You show respect for others through your words and actions.
- Results - You understand that we exist to serve our customers, and you’re laser focused on delivering results for them.
As a member of our team, your work will be valued, and you can expect your efforts to have a direct impact on the business. Contact us now to learn more. firstname.lastname@example.org
WatchTower is committed to building an inclusive working environment regardless of gender, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, race, education, age, or other personal characteristics. We believe that people do their best work when they can be themselves, and we want to create an environment to enable them to do just that.